AKG Group was founded in 1919 in Hofgeismar, Germany and began as a repair shop for replacement heat exchangers in the automotive industry. Over the past 100 years, we have grown from a small production facility into a worldwide manufacturer.
- Autokühler Gesellschaft mbH (AKG) founded in Dortmund as a specialty company for the repair and manufacture of replacement coolers.
- Walter Pietzcker becomes majority shareholder.
- Hans Pietzcker, (grandfather of present managing partner Hans Pietzcker ) – at that time working in Osaka – buys the shares off his uncle Walter Pietzcker and becomes majority shareholder.
- Establishment of the current headquarters in Hofgeismar (near Kassel).
- Development and production of the first standard cooler for the original equipment in the automotive industry.
- High proportion of exports and construction of manufacturing centers in India.
- Began manufacturing aluminum, high-pressure heat exchangers
- Under the leadership of Dirk Pietzcker the company achieves the breakthrough that makes it into one of the leading manufacturers of heat exchangers in Europe.
- Signing of Joint Ventures in Yugoslavia.
- Mr. Dirk Pietzcker took over the company as managing director.
- AKG of America, Inc. is founded in Mebane, North Carolina
- Founding of the AKG Thermotechnik GmbH & Co. KG in Hofgeismar. Start of production in 1986.
- Expansion of production capacity in Hofgeismar
- Construction of a Research and Development Center
- After eight years of business in North America, AKG invests in its first of many expansions in Mebane, NC.
- To focus on standard cooling products for the industrial, mobile and compressed air markets; AKG Thermal Systems is founded.
- To handle the continued growth in North America, a new administration building is added to the Mebane, NC operations center.
- Mr. Hartwig Pietzcker takes over the AKG Group as managing partner
- AKG Thermal Systems adds 15,000 square feet of space for warehousing, assembly and testing.
- AKG of America (Mebane, NC) celebrates 30 years of service.
- Mebane Operations adds another 42,000 square feet to increase assembly capacity and throughput efficiency, total manufacturing space reaches 170,000 square feet.
- AKG North American Operations, Inc. in Mitchell expands the plant.
- AKG Thermal Systems in Mebane completes construction of the new office building.
- AKG North American Operations in Mitchell celebrates 10 years of service
- CATERPILLAR honors AKG Thermotechnik Latvia with the platinum plaque of the CATERPILLAR Supplier Quality Excellence Program.
- Opening of the AKG North American Research & Development Center in Mebane, North Carolina.
- CATERPILLAR honours AKG India Private Ltd. with the platinum plaque of the CATERPILLAR Supplier Quality Excellence Program.